CEBS News & Help-U.S.
CEBS Student News
- Upcoming Course Revisions
- Fourth Quarter 2014 - CMS 2 Compensation Concepts and Principles will be revised effective October 1, 2014. Current study materials are valid for exams through September 30, 2014.
- Fourth Quarter 2014 - GBA 3 Health Care: Financing, Quality and Reform will be revised effective October 1, 2014. Current study materials are valid for exams through September 30, 2014.
- First Quarter 2015 - CMS 3 Executive Compensation will be revised effective January 1, 2015. Current study materials are valid for exams through December 31, 2014.
- Readings Update: required reading for RPA 4
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 was adopted by Congress on January 1, 2013 to address key elements of the so-called fiscal cliff. The act contained a variety of tax-related provisions.
The CEBS program has issued an update entitled “Highlights of the American Taxpayer Relief Act.” This update is applicable to RPA 4 and will be subject to inclusion on CEBS examinations after April 15, 2013 as explained below.
- The Supreme Court Decision on the Constitutionality of PPACA and its Effect on the CEBS Curriculum
As most students are aware, the United States Supreme Court rejected constitutional challenges to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). By doing so, the Supreme Court affirmed that Congress acted within its authority by imposing a penalty tax associated with an individual’s failure to purchase health insurance. Though the Court found that such an individual mandate violates the Commerce Clause, the individual mandate was upheld by virtue of the taxing power of Congress. In essence, the Supreme Court decision maintains the major provisions of PPACA as enacted in 2010 with one notable exception. The Court struck down the Act’s Medicaid expansion provision and the impact of this part of the ruling is being reviewed.
The current editions of CEBS courses involving health care (GBA 1, GBA 2 and GBA 3) were previously revised to include the legislated provisions for health care reform. In light of the Supreme Court decision, the current content of those courses and their related national examinations reflect existing law.
Undoubtedly, there will be continued scrutiny of the lengthy Supreme Court opinion and regulatory activity related to interpretation of the PPACA and its clarification. The Wharton School will continue also its vigilance in reviewing pronouncements and regulations that can affect the CEBS curriculum. If it becomes necessary to update courses and examinations at a future time, students will be advised of these updates and the effective dates for inclusion of this updated material on the national examinations.
- CEBS Scholarships Available. Some local ISCEBS chapters offer scholarships to help defray costs for students in their geographic area. If you are in the Central Ohio, Greater Boston, Milwaukee or Oregon Cascades areas, visit the links above to learn more. Each chapter administers its award independently and eligibility criteria vary. Complete details are available by visiting the links above.
- Exam Appointment Changes--You may reschedule or cancel an exam appointment by calling Prometric at (800) 226-7955 or online at www.prometric.com using the Reschedule/Cancel option. Both are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Beginning April 2012 there will be no charge to reschedule or cancel an exam appointment 13 or more business days before your scheduled test date. Rescheduling or canceling appointments between 3 and 12 business days before your scheduled test date will result in a $50 rescheduling fee assessed by Prometric. See the CEBS Examination Handbook for more information.
- Recent changes to health care reform and the GBA curriculum. Recent changes to health care reform, including the repeal of the employee voucher provision and the halting of the CLASS program, enacted after the courses' publication are listed here. The corresponding examinations also reflect these changes.
- NewsScope - Read the latest issue of NewsScope [PDF], the electronic newsletter for CEBS registrants. Not yet registered? Register now! [PDF]
Previous Issues of NewsScope Newsletter
June 2013 NewsScope [PDF]
March 2013 NewsScope [PDF]
- RPA 4 Personal Wealth Management is a new elective in the RPA designation and the CEBS designation. Testing on RPA 4 began on April 15, 2012. The RPA 4 study materials are available now.
- Read Journey of a New Graduate, excerpted from the December 2011 issue of NewsScope.
- The 2013-2014 CEBS Course Catalog is available. In addition to course descriptions, online study schedules, order forms and other CEBS information, the calendar also includes revision information, study materials and designation requirements.
- Windows 7 users can click here if you have trouble with the practice exam CDs.
- View the 2014 online class schedule.