Student FAQ

Here are the most frequently asked student questions. If you don't find the answers you're looking for, please call us at 888-334-3327, option 3.

Can I use the CEBS, GBA, RPA and CMS after my name on business cards, stationery, resumés, etc.?
The Certified Employee Benefit Specialist, (CEBS), Group Benefits Associate (GBA), Retirement Plans Associate (RPA), and Compensation Management Specialist (CMS) are credentialed designations. The CEBS program has filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for full and exclusive rights to these designations. Official "Guidelines" have been established and are available online.

Can holders of the GBA, RPA or CMS designations use the CEBS logo?
No. The GBA, RPA and CMS are separate and distinct designations. Only those who earn the CEBS credential are permitted to use the CEBS logo, initials and the words "Certified Employee Benefit Specialist."

I have completed several CEBS courses and am not sure which course to take next.
Review all of the designation options in charting your own path towards earning the CEBS designation. Decide which specialty designations you want to pursue while working towards your CEBS designation. Note: If you want to earn the GBA, RPA, CMS and the CEBS, you will need to complete a minimum of NINE CEBS courses.

If you are primarily interested in CEBS and not that interested in a specialty designation, take the six core courses and any two of the electives that fit your career objectives.

Will I be notified when I complete a specialty designation and the CEBS designation?
Yes, approximately 45 days after you have met the academic requirements for a specialty designation, you will automatically be awarded the GBA, RPA or CMS designation. For the CEBS designation, there are administrative and procedural items that must be completed before the CEBS designation is awarded. A graduation package with pertinent details is sent to completers.

After earning the CEBS designation, can I take additional CEBS courses?
Yes. If you want to earn all three specialty track designations with your CEBS, it will require the completion of a minimum of nine CEBS courses.

I have completed CEBS Course 5-Contemporary Legal Environment of Employee Benefit Plans, Course 6-Financial Concepts and Principles and Course 10-Contemporary Benefit Issues and Administration. How can I use these CEBS courses toward earning my CEBS designation?
These three courses were phased out of the CEBS curriculum in 2003. As of January 1, 2006, these courses cannot be used toward earning the CEBS designation. (Please note that testing on Course 10 ended on June 30, 2003. Testing on Course 5 and Course 6 ended on December 31, 2003.)

How can I receive CEBS exam credit if I have completed my CFP, CFA or CCP designation or completed American College Courses HS312, HS325, HS326 or HS328?
If you hold the Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation or have completed any of the above four courses through the American College, you may be able to receive a maximum of two exam credits in the CEBS program. (Note: There is a one-course exam credit maximum towards the CMS designation) The application form is available online. Exam credits can be used in both the eight-course and ten-course curricula. A $75 fee per exam credit will be assessed at the time of application.

It's been a while since I've taken any CEBS courses, who can I contact if I need to confirm the courses I have completed?
Please contact the CEBS Department at (800) 449-2327, option 3 for information regarding your completed coursework.

Can I use practice exam and Learning Guide CDs on an Apple computer?
No.  The CDs are compatible with PCs only. 

 Inside this section