Reporting to the VP of Human Resources, this position plans, develops, and manages the administration of various employee benefit programs such as health and welfare, retirement, time off, wellness, and leave of absence programs. This position is responsible for ensuring company compliance and for recommending new and/or improved employee benefits plans and cost savings measures to stay competitive with the marketplace.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
1. Program Administration, Vendor Management, and Communications
* Manage all employee benefit programs which include but are not limited to self-funded and fully insured health benefits, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance, FSAs, HSA, EAP, 401(k) and NQDC plans, time off programs, and all mandated and company leave types.
* Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information and develop specific recommendations for review by senior leadership.
* Develop and present recommendations related to the employee benefits strategy, including new and/or modified plans, plan designs, and programs, to ensure compliance and maintain company's competitive position within labor market.
* Monitor and evaluate vendor performance and conducts requests for information (RFI) and requests for proposal (RFP) when necessary. Evaluate responses and makes recommendations to leadership.
* Develop and maintain company cost and plan performance information for employee benefit plans and make recommendations to management concerning sharing of cost between employer and employee.
* Lead the implementation of new plans, programs, and changes as approved.
* Oversee contract administration and renewal process for all service contracts and agreements.
* Execute, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended Plan Documents, Summary Plan Descriptions, carrier booklets, service agreements and insurance policies. Instruct insurance carriers, vendors and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect change in benefit programs. Ensure prompt and accurate compliance.
* Oversee the development and execution of all employee communications to effectively educate and communicate regarding employee benefit programs, leave of absence programs, and all other department initiatives.
* Develop and manage relationships and interface with vendors, suppliers, government agencies, contractors, and industry leaders that impact the company.
* Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws pertaining to employee benefit plans, retirement plans, wellness programs, and leave of absence programs.
* Oversee the preparation and review of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies.
* Review and analyze changes to federal, state and local laws pertaining to benefits and leave of absence; develop and present recommendations to leadership for necessary or suggested changes to ensure compliance and minimize risk.
* Oversee the coordination of company benefits with government sponsored programs.
3. Managerial Responsibilities
* Oversee the Benefits Department function to ensure work is completed in a timely and accurate manager.
* Select, evaluate, and develop a high performing team of engaged direct reports. Ensure staff receives on-going training and development. Conduct performance reviews and develop and deliver performance improvement plans, as required.
* Promote a constructive work environment, organize staff to accomplish work, meet business demands, encourage initiative, and ensure compliance.
* Develop annual department and project budgets with monthly P&L review, identify variances and take corrective action as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Ability to apply benefits knowledge, philosophy, best practices and sound decision making processes to current and proposed benefit programs.
* Ability to identify issues in a timely manner, and maintain sound judgment and independent decision making in problem solving and in developing alternative strategies.
* Advanced knowledge of employee benefit plan policies, practices and applicable laws.
* Strong knowledge of Managed Care Provider Networks, capitation, indemnity, Medicare Risk, HMO, PPO, POS, HDHP, state and private disability benefits, life benefit structures and funding methodologies.
* Strong knowledge of ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, IRC, PPACA, FMLA (and other federal, state and local leave laws), ADA/FEHA, Worker's Compensation, and other applicable federal and state regulations.
* Strong ability to adapt procedures and processes to accomplish the requirements of the position.
* Strong ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks and goals.
* Strong business, business software program (excel, word, etc), and English skills including vocabulary, spelling and correct grammatical usage and punctuation.
* Ability to be flexible in changing work priorities.
* Ability to act in a responsive manner to customer inquiries and requests: escalates the more difficult matters as necessary.
* Strong ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
* Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
* Bachelor's Degree in human resource management, business administration, or related field.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
* Minimum 7 years of experience in the employee benefits field or in a related area.
* Minimum 3 years of experience managing both exempt and non-exempt benefits staff members.
Physical Demands/ Environmental Conditions
* Work is performed in a business office environment.
* Occasional travel to site locations or off-site meetings.