74 percent of Employers Offer Telecommuting and Predict Increase

BROOKFIELD, WI – Solving a tight parking lot problem, promoting work-life balance, decreasing carbon footprints—Organizations have many reasons for offering telecommuting, finds a new survey report from the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. Flexible Work Arrangements: 2017 Survey Results revealed 94 percent of U.S. organizations provide some type of flexible work arrangement.

Telecommuting is one of the most popular flexible work arrangements organizations provide with 74% of employers offering as an option.

It's popular. It's on the rise, but is telecommuting always the best option for an organization?

"Several high-profile companies have ended or limited their telecommuting arrangements, including Bank of America, Yahoo!, Hewlett Packard and IBM," said Julie Stich, CEBS, associate Vice President of content at the International Foundation. "Early pioneers of telecommuting policies may say it's not working, and they want a return to face time. But many smaller organizations have just started trying it. Success depends on several variables like employer size, industry and culture."

Despite its popularity with workers, employers aren't shouting about telecommuting from the rooftops. Sixty percent of employers only communicate about telecommuting when a worker approaches a manager about it. Thirty percent communicate about the benefit during the hiring or new employee orientation process, and 25 percent of employers list the option in their organizational handbook.

The future of telecommuting? The International Foundation report found it's on the rise, and employers expect it to grow further. More than two in five organizations reported more workers telecommuting now than two years ago. Almost 40 percent of employers believe more workers will telecommute during the next two years.

Looking beyond telecommuting, the most common flexible work arrangements offered to employees include:

  • Flexible work hours to accommodate special circumstances: 92%
  • Flexible starting and quitting times: 87%
  • Part-time hours: 73%
  • Reduced hours to accommodate worker request: 66%
  • Compressed workweeks: 53%
  • Summer hours: 32%

Organizations offer flexible work arrangements to create work-life balance for workers (68%), enhance worker morale (27%) and attract a talented workforce (26%).

"Flexible work policies are positive for most organizations and rank high among employees as a sought-after benefit," said Stich. "Because every organization's workforce is unique, however, it's difficult to create overall company policies that will be fair for all employees."

Achieving fairness for all staff is a barrier that 35 percent of organizations deal with when they offer a flexible work arrangement. Other barriers include: A portion of the job cannot be done remotely (25%), lack of upper management support (22%), and more difficulty in monitoring/managing workers and their work (18%).

For more information and to read the full survey report, visit www.ifebp.org/flexiblework. Survey responses were received from 391 U.S. members of the International Foundation and the International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists (ISCEBS). More than seven in ten respondents (73%) represent single employers/corporations, with the remaining 27% representing public/governmental organizations.  Responding organizations represent a wide range of employer sizes, from fewer than 50 workers to 10,000 or more.

###

 

The International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans is the premier educational organization dedicated to providing the diverse employee benefits community with objective, solution-oriented education, research and information to ensure the health and financial security of plan beneficiaries worldwide. The Foundation has more than 33,000 multiemployer, corporate and public sector members representing over 25 million lives. For additional information, visit www.ifebp.org.​

 

The International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists (ISCEBS) is a membership organization for those who have earned or are pursuing the Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS), Group Benefits Associate (GBA), Retirement Plans Associate (RPA) and Compensation Management Specialist (CMS) designations. Members have access to educational programs, information resources, networking at the local and national levels, publications and other services. Nearly 4,000 CEBS, GBA, RPA and CMS designees are members of ISCEBS; they work for corporations, consulting firms, multiemployer funds and insurance companies and in other industry professions.