Learn the latest strategies in managing your pension funds from industry experts. This three-part video presentation package was recorded at the 61st Annual Employee Benefits Conference. Each session is 1 hour 15 minutes long.
Access is provided via "My E-Learning" on the Foundation's website for 180 days from the date of purchase.
Pension Funding Basics
Craig A. Voelker, EA, FSA, MAAA, O'Sullivan Associates, Inc.
- The purpose of valuations, 5500s and auditor reports
- What are the trustees’ responsibilities?
- What are the various funding measurements and what do they mean?
- How are assumptions selected?
- Review of the components in a valuation report
- Assembling and reading 5500s
- Key sections in auditor reports.
Managing Pension Risk
Paul L. Graf, ASA, EA, MAAA, Rael & Letson
Jeffrey J. MacLean, Versus Investments
- What is a risk management strategy and what is its purpose in a portfolio?
- How actuaries and investment consultants view risk differently
- Risk and changing demographics
- Distinguishing between being proactive or reactive
- Determining a pertinent time horizon
- What are the roles of trustees, consultants and managers?
- Review of best practices
- Chicken or the egg?—The interest assumption.
Understanding the Actuary's Math
Cary Franklin, EA, FSA, Horizon Actuarial Services, LLC
- How present values are calculated
- •Key valuation components––Accrued liability––Normal cost
- Actuarial rules of thumb
- How changes in benefits affect long-term costs
- How is your actuary using the improved mortality tables?
- Deterministic and stochastic forecasts.