Pharmaceuticals have become an integral component of medical treatment, with some medications completely transforming health care outcomes and delivery. Drug therapy has been proven to reduce health care costs, increase productivity and enhance the quality of life for many people. When was the last time you examined the prescription drug component of your health care benefits? This primer offers factors to consider when designing or modifying pharmacy benefits, including the pros and cons of carving benefits into a health plan as well as carving them out as a separate prescription drug plan. A practical checklist is provided in almost every chapter to help you focus on important issues, including what questions to ask potential vendors. Inside the book, you’ll find:
- An examination of prescription drug utilization and spending in the U.S.
- Strategies for reducing drug costs while improving health care outcomes
- Advice on dealing with specialty drugs
- How to promote prescriber and patient compliance
- How to evaluate and select a pharmacy benefit manager
- The basics of various federal laws and regulations affecting pharmacy benefit plans
- An overview of government prescription drug plans, including Medicare Part D
Click to see the Table of Contents.
Click to see a sample chapter. (PDF)
RELATED RESOURCE: Click to see the related e-learning course Overview of Prescription Drugs.