The Plumbers and Pipefitters National Pension Fund is a $6 billion Taft-Hartley defined benefit pension fund located in Alexandria, VA, with over 150,000 participants. We are seeking an experienced Controller to lead our Accounting Department. The Controller is responsible for the company's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. The position involves managing general accounting, property accounting, internal auditing, and budgetary controls with heavy emphasis on investment accounting. This person will be responsible for directing a 10-person team and will oversee the investment portfolio, budgeting, financial reporting and internal controls for the pension fund as well as 2 smaller staff plans.
• Maintains the general ledger system. This entails complete working knowledge of the subsidiary ledgers through and including financial statement preparation.
• Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, and analyzes and reports variances.
• Prepares the Fund Office Administrative Budget for submission to the Administrator and the Trustees, as well as periodic reports as to compliance with Budget authorization levels.
• Insures the efficient management of cash handled by the Fund Office, so as to maximize at all times the funds available for investment.
• Responsible for tax planning and compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable tax filings.
• Recommends and implements ways to minimize the Fund's exposure to risk of loss through oversight or misappropriation.
• Coordinates with Fund auditors and prepare all necessary audit schedules; maintains and updates internal auditing processes and procedures.
• Oversees and recommends more efficient and automated accounting of the Fund's investment portfolio, and utilize analytical review procedures.
• Ensures development of accounting systems to facilitate management's strategies and long-range business objectives.
• Coordinates the transfer of assets from Local Pension Funds into the National Pension Fund, due to mergers. Assists in evaluation of potential merging fund financial statements.
• Acts as main liaison with Fund custodian.
• Certified Public Accountant with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field.
• 10+ years' experience in accounting/auditing with at least 5 years as a Controller or equivalent level.
• Knowledge of ERISA and employee benefit plans is required.
• Must have working knowledge of automated accounting systems, investment accounting, have well-developed financial analysis capabilities and a demonstrated ability to manage computer operations and applications.
• Must be well organized and have strong communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
• Experience working with IT management helpful.
We offer a highly competitive salary, exceptional benefits and a great work environment.
Click on the Apply Now link or visit our website and click Employment Opportunities.