Competition: 19-32 Senior Policy Analyst, Pensions Policy
Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent Excluded, [Internal/External Posting]
Classification: Pay Group V
Salary Range: $72,800.00–$104,000.00
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS) is comprised of hardworking, respectful and talented individuals who understand and invite diversity into their workplace. Our employees bring financial, business, communications, technology and client service expertise to the table every day.
To attract and retain employees of the highest caliber, we strive to focus on the people who make the business successful. By incorporating engagement activities throughout the year, we continue to strengthen our corporate culture and maintain a positive work environment for our employees.
APS is recruiting a Senior Policy Analyst.
Reporting to the Director, Pensions Policy, the Senior Policy Analyst takes the lead on many complex and technical pension policy issues. This position provides policy support and advice to APS and the plan corporations, leads the development of pension policy and guides policy implementation within APS.
The purpose of this position is to identify issues, perform research and make recommendations for resolution of important policy and compliance issues that arise in the administration of the public sector pension plans under APS’ administration. This position is to act as a consultant in respect to policy and compliance matters.
This position ensures that plan governors and APS employees have the legal and pension industry information necessary to support decisions, provide excellent client service support and manage risks concerning pension plan policies and administration.
The Senior Policy Analyst:
• Ensures that other business areas receive the
policy support and advice required, and that
those areas understand the advice provided.
• Coordinates the making and review of plan rule
amendments with key stakeholders including
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, plan
corporations, and plan boards.
• Manages the development of new and updated
pension policy within APS.
• Assists and guides other business areas with
implementing plan rule changes and policy
• University degree and five to seven years of
directly related experience; or
• Diploma with seven to 10 years of directly
• Senior level working experience in developing
legislation and/or policy.
• Expert knowledge of the Public Sector Pension
Plans Act and Regulations, the Employment
Pension Plans Act and Regulations, and the
Income Tax Act and Regulations.
• Good understanding of the meaning and
importance of fiduciary obligations.
• Significant and current knowledge of industry
• Knowledge of actuarial impact on pension plan
• Expertise in research methodologies.
• Strong ability to interpret legislation and able to
identify legislation in court decisions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills,
including recommending solutions.
• Strong Microsoft Office skills.
• Works as a team player.
• Ability to share and receive ideas, advice and
criticism in a team environment which operates
on a high level of trust.
• Capacity to work independently, including the
ability to schedule realistically and to create
products that require limited peer review.
• Maturity to recognize their own limitations and
ask for assistance at the right time.
• Ability to create excellent relationships with APS
executives and staff, pension plan staff and
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance. These
relationships must be based on a high level of
trust and confidence to ensure the most efficient
exchange of information and ideas.
APS offers a comprehensive and flexible benefit package.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for.
Please Note: If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please send a separate submission for each competition. The successful candidate(s) will be required to undergo a security screening as a condition of employment. This job posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies within APS at the same or lower classification.
Thank you for your interest in Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS). Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.