Senior Benefits Advisor
Competition number: 226-2019-EXT-HRS
Closing date: 08/15/2019
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Human Resources
Pay range: $84,084 to $105,123 per year
Hours: 35 hours per week
Are you an expert in the Benefits field? Are you interested in designing and implementing employee benefit programs?
Do you enjoy communicating and creating awareness about the value of the benefits program?
Join the Human Resources Department as the Senior Benefits Advisor, reporting to the Manager of Compensation and Benefits. You will be the County’s specialist for Pension and Benefit Plans for all County, Library employees and Elected Officials. You will be involved in developing, recommending, implementing and administering any changes to the Employee Benefits program to manage present and future financial implications, minimize risk, ensure our plans remain competitive and meet the needs of our employees while remaining cost-effective.
• Develop, design, recommend, implement and administer any changes to the Employee Benefits Program
• Oversee and ensure the effective overall administration of the Employee Benefits Program including Extended Healthcare, Dental Healthcare, Life, AD&D, LTD, APEX, LAPP, RRSPs
• Oversee the accurate and timely processing of claims by the contractors for the Employee Benefits Program and annual Flexible Spending Account
• Analyze, evaluate and synthesize ongoing benefit trends and issues in other municipal jurisdictions for the success of the overall design and delivery of a competitive benefits program
• Analyze all information to provide recommendations regarding the financial management of the benefit plans
• Maintain the integrity of the benefits program to the established criteria established in agreements with third party benefits carriers, collective agreements, Classified Employees Handbook and the Library Handbook
• Provide advice and implications (both financial and other) of changes under consideration as part of collective bargaining
• Create and deliver communication and education to ensure employees are aware of all aspects of their benefits
• Enable and facilitate employee information and retirement sessions to meet employee demand
• Monitor and amend group insurance carrier contracts as required and authorized
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to resolve benefit related issues as well as issues between parties
• Strong supervisory skills with the ability to coach and mentor a small team
• Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive employee benefits issues using discretion and diplomacy
• Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and presentation skills
• Proficient with MS Office along with in-depth knowledge of databases to track benefits data for program management, trends analysis and decision making
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources or a related field with 5 years of related experience OR a Post Secondary Diploma with 7 years of related experience
• Designation in Benefits Administration, preferably a Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS)
• Extensive experience in benefit plan design, implementation and administration of employee benefits
• Experience in a public sector environment with both union and non-union benefit plans
• Knowledge of mandatory and optional benefit programs in Canada along with the knowledge of tax laws and implications with respect to benefit plans
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, please click on the Apply Now button below.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #226-2019-EXT-HRS closes August 15, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.