Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) was founded as a 501(c) (3) non-profit medical institution in 2005 aimed at increasing access to health care in medically underserved areas of the Pacific Northwest.
The University currently offers the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine enrolling a total of 560 medical students with plans to develop other programs and/or colleges. Interprofessional education partnerships with other universities adds another 100 students to the population. The campus includes 300 employees with academic programming spread over a five-state region.
PNWU is located in Yakima, WA, a city of approximately 95,000 located in the south central part of the state near the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in a major agricultural and outdoor recreation region. It is approximately 140 miles from Seattle, 170 miles from Portland, and 200 miles from Spokane. The Yakima Valley is a wonderful place to live, work and play. For more information, visit www.liveyakimavalley.com.
PNWU is seeking applications for the position of Director of Human Resources-Compliance and Benefits.
The Director of Human Resources, Compliance and Benefits, under the direction of the Chief Human Resource Officer manages all functions of the employee benefit programs and human resources compliance. This includes health, dental, vision, and other benefits as assigned: long-term disability insurance; flexible spending account plans; employee assistance program; and tuition reimbursement. Additional duties included reconciliation on benefit premiums, invoices and employee benefit accounts. Compliance will focus on monitoring state and federal laws and regulations relative to Human Resources and assuring PNWU HR is compliant with all appropriate regulations. Compliance includes consultation, support and guidance relating to regulatory matters including Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action Plans (AAP), Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title IX and other regulations such as required by federal grants. The Director of Human Resources, Compliance and Benefits collaborates with the HR team and University leadership to develop strategies to minimize risk to the organization.
Essential Job Functions:
• Plans, organizes, monitors and directs the activities related to employee group health plans, life insurance plans, voluntary benefits, and investigates compliance and benefit concerns/issues and while making recommendations for action
• Acts as a liaison between all health plan representatives and employee benefits. Troubleshoots the processing of all employee benefits, ie. benefit claims, FMLA processing, and employee navigator benefit changes
• Coordinates and corresponds with various internal and external customers, such as agencies and benefit plan administrators and division/office/department supervisors and employees. This includes Third Party Administrators and Brokers to assess Health Plan performance and to recommend improvements to benefit self-insurance plans and oversight of retirement plans
• Develops, implements, and manages HR policies, systems, and processes to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, including, but not limited to, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action Plans (AAP), Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title IX and section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act while staying current with HR regulatory compliance obligations through training and membership in professional organizations/list serves
• Develops, implements, and trains employees on policies and procedures related to benefits changes, and employment law changes (Title IX and Section 504, FMLA, EEO, AAP, FLSA, ADA)
• Understands accreditation standards and expectations specific to the department and adheres to policies and procedures to meet or exceed such standards
• Conducts self appropriately and consistently in accordance with the philosophy and mission of PNWU
• Other duties as assigned
• Required: Bachelor’s Degree
• Preferred: Master’s Degree
• Preferred - Title IX
• Preferred – Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
• Required: 5 years in Human Resources with a focus on Employee Benefits, Compliance and Investigations
• Experience in Higher Education
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Strong organization, interpersonal, and planning skills; strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in a team and flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances; ability to problem solve by analyzing issues and creating action plans; ability to manage projects and people and prioritize and self-direct work flow; ability to work with and manage different computer programs and databases; and schedule activities and/or meetings.
PNWU offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees first of the month following date of hire and competitive salary.
To apply, please visit: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/280393
To ensure full consideration submit:
• A letter of introduction outlining background and qualifications for the position
• Detailed curriculum vitae
• Contact information for three professional references
The job announcement above is not the full job description, but represents the job responsibilities and requirements. A full job description can be provided upon request.
For information about life in Yakima visit the our PNWU website: https://www.pnwu.edu/inside-pnwu/careers-pnwu.
PNWU is a drug-free workplace, equal opportunity employer and educational institution. To request this publication in an alternative format, or to apply in an alternative format, please call Human Resources, 509-452-5100.