District 1199J, the National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees, AFSCME, AFL-CIO, is New Jersey’s original healthcare union. Formed in 1977, District 1199J represents healthcare and public employees including dietary and nurse’s aides, nurses, technicians and technologists, housekeepers, social workers, therapists, teachers, doctors, psychologists, pharmacists, clerical workers, and home care aides, juvenile detention officers, counselors and parks workers.
Our office is located in Newark, New Jersey.
The 1199J Pension and Benefit Funds are multiemployer benefit trust funds established more than 30 year ago. The Pension Fund has assets in excess of $250mm with 9500 participants. The Benefit fund covers more than 4000 employees for medical, health and vision benefits.
The Fund’s Trustees seek an Executive Director to manage the day–to-day operation and administration of these Funds. The successful candidate will possess strong benefits background administering Health & Benefit plans, specifically defined benefit Retirement Plans and Health and Benefit Plans. The candidate will:
• possess extensive knowledge of plans of similar design,
• have demonstrated high levels of member satisfaction,
• be cognizant of legal requirements, trends and best practices,
• have the ability to supervise a diverse and multifunctional staff and
• provide clear and timely reports to the Trustees.
Additionally, experience with Health Plan design that focuses on population health strategies is preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or five (5) or more years’ experience in benefit fund administration
• Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (“CEBS”) recommended.
• Excellent project management skills, including the coordination of complex projects
• Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Other Skills & Abilities:
• Must be exceedingly well organized and flexible
• Must be detail-oriented and able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
• Strong decision-making ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to work both individually and in a team-based environment.
1. Effectuate timely and efficient enrollment and maintain eligibility records for participants in all Funds. Including: new hires, terminations, status changes, COBRA, beneficiaries, disability, AD&D, QDRO’s, hardships, etc.
2. Schedule and direct the workforce ensuring the proper distribution of responsibilities and assignments.
3. Supervise, motivate and train staff.
4. Oversee and maintain strong administrative interface with Providers.
5. Ensure that required communications /records are timely, accurate and efficiently done.
6. Ensure compliance with HIPAA and all applicable government regulations.
7. Document and maintain administrative procedures for benefit processes.
8. Maintain comprehensive knowledge of benefits, eligibility rules, contribution rates, and participating employers.
9. Implement benefit changes with corresponding preparation and dissemination of notices to plan participants and contributing employers, when required.
10. Review and approves, as appropriate, all statements, billings and invoices submitted to the Funds for payment.
11. Prepare or work with counsel then distributes all SMM’s and required Annual or periodic participant notices for all Funds.
12. Establish audits procedures to ensure proper benefit payments.
13. Ensure timely and accurate filing of all required submissions to government agencies; and
14. Oversee the management of the building where the Funds are housed.
To apply, please submit resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org