The Specialist, Benefits & Pension (“the Specialist”) is the Human Resources team member responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and administering all areas of the Law Society’s benefit and pension programs, policies, and related materials. The Specialist provides expertise, guidance and recommendations on best practices related to the design and operation of benefit and pension programs and has hands-on responsibility for the day-to-day administration and compliance of the programs. Working closely with Rewards, HR Systems and Payroll, the Specialist will help redesign Benefit and Pension processes and work allocation leveraging the HRIS to migrate administration from HR to Payroll. The Specialist participates in the evaluation and implementation of new and enhanced systems and upgrades as required.
• A university degree in Human Resources, or related field, coupled with a CEBS or CHRP designation. Equivalent knowledge and capability from suitable combination of other formal education and practical work experience may be considered.
• The Specialist, Human Resources role requires Human Resources consultation, administrative, program management, analysis and project management responsibilities, which requires minimum 7 years’ progressive experience in benefit and pension related roles.
• Good general business acumen and understanding of HR Management and HR Services.
• Expert understanding of benefits and pension plan operations.
• Solid understanding of employment related legislation and effective human resources services delivery.
• Knowledge of current trends and developments in the human resources fields from a specialist perspective, and their practical applications at the Law Society.
• Solid knowledge of best practices with respect to pension and benefits, performance management systems, employee relations and retention strategies.
• Strong ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders including employees, managers, executives, vendors, client services representatives and consultants.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to drive insight through accurate data and meaningful analytics.
• Ability to work independently on confidential information with a high attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to speak, write and present in a clear, articulate manner for individual and/or group situations.
• Ability to manage conflict in a constructive, calm, and professional manner.
• Superior time management and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to monitor and manage competing demands and shifting priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to research complex questions, conduct complex analysis of information, and develop solutions.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• Able to reconcile and analyze financial information to ensure accuracy of premiums and service provider/carrier invoices.
• Able to complete calculations pertaining to employee benefit and pension amounts.
• Expert skills in Excel spreadsheets, databases, reporting and data manipulation and analysis.
• Advanced skills in other MS Office applications including 365, Word, Outlook, Teams, PowerPoint and various internet browsers.
• Proficiency with various time and attendance systems, preferably Synerion Direct.
• In-depth knowledge of various Human Resources Information Systems, preferably Ceridian’s Dayforce HR/Payroll.
• Knowledge of various benefit and pension provider interface systems, preferably Sunlife Oasis and/or Manulife VIP room.
Client / Customer Service Planning
• Acts as an internal consultant and business partner with the Human Resources team, Payroll, client departments and other stakeholders, actively participating in key discussions relating to Benefits/Pension in support of the organization’s mandate to attract, retain, and motivate top talent in the legal, regulatory and corporate services sectors.
• Identifies strategic and operational needs for the programs and develops processes and approaches to address these needs, translating goals and policies into effective business strategies.
• Through a wide range of assigned projects and activities, develops, monitors, guides and supports the implementation and day-to-day operation of benefit and pension programs.
• Through project management provides comprehensive analysis, research, process design, employee education, reporting, administration, and enhancement/improvement recommendations.
• The Specialist analyses participation and utilization for all benefits.
Conducts audits to ensure the accuracy of employee information with vendors and the human resources information systems.
• Uses data to monitor trends and recommend initiatives, plan design and vendor changes, and process enhancements to improve the benefits and pension offerings and administration.
• Working collaboratively with all stakeholders including Payroll and HR Systems will help streamline the administration of the Law Society’s Benefit and Pension plans.
Client / Customer Service Delivery
• Responsible for the planning, administration, and processing of the pension, group retirement savings, and various group benefit plans for the Law Society.
• Provides ongoing advice to internal clients at all levels (senior management, managers, and employees), regarding Law Society policies, practices, ‘culture’, and human resources programs to achieve strong and effective employee understanding of the value of the programs.
• Consults with vendors and service providers on program initiatives and improvements.
• As needed investigates and resolves problems involving delivery of and payment for services by contacting service providers and employees.
• Responsible for benefit and pension enrolment and providing administrative support for the Pension Committee.
• Maintains the integrity of the benefit and pension programs including oversight of the vendor systems and produces regular, custom and ad-hoc operational reports and statistics for use by organizational stakeholders.
• Serves as the Law Society’s key contact with third party vendors providing pension and benefits to employees.
• Oversees the pension and benefit enrollment process, including monthly enrollment meetings and biennial re-enrollment process, to ensure employees receive accurate information and enrollments are completed on a timely basis.
• Collaborates with Payroll and HR Systems teams on the structure and maintenance of employee benefit data in human resources information systems.
Special Projects and Initiatives
• Maintains knowledge of, and advises on, changes in government regulations, pension and benefit program trends, and best practices among similar organizations.
• Ensures compliance of pension and benefits administration with federal and provincial legislation.
• Develops and implements materials and processes for the efficient monitoring and maintenance of the pension and benefit programs.
• Working with the Manager, Human Resources researches and benchmarks best practices in the fields. Brings a professional, analytical perspective to program planning initiatives.
• Contributes to the development of policies and practices for the organization through analysis, needs identification, review of existing documentation, and benchmarking best Human Resources practices, providing specific recommendations and options to the Human Resources team to ensure compliance with Human Resources best practices and relevant employment legislation.
• Operates the pension and benefit programs including coordination and completion of benefit surveys, analysis, and recommendations with respect to planning, and program implementation costing.
• Administers the pension plan, including the timely, accurate processing and monitoring of information with the carrier.
• Liaises with employees regarding pension and benefit vendor access and coverage issues.
Ensures the timely and accurate processing of payroll related information, including new hires enrolments, terminations, and liaising with other Law Society departments to ensure that pension and benefit payroll information is accurate, and providing for corrective measures.
• Participates, and project manages, the negotiation of contracts with pension and benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors, and consultants for services, premiums, and plan administration.
• Recommends benefit plan changes to management.
• Oversees the development of information materials from vendors and ensures the availability of adequate materials.
• Assists in monitoring specific project budgets, and contributes to organizational budget analysis, planning, and forecasting.
• Provides key liaison with the Law Society pension providers, actively participating in contract changes, negotiation, and monitoring.
• Ensures the timely and accurate processing of payroll information, including status changes, liaising with other Law Society departments to ensure that payroll information is up‑to‑date.
• Liaises with employees regarding coverage issues.
• Processes and reconciles monthly invoices for all pension and benefit related costs. Programs represent material financial costs and investments.
Works closely with and assists the Human Resources team, in the administration of on‑going and new initiatives, including external consultants and service providers through projects, as well as the planning, scheduling, and development of effective work processes.
Delivers expert strategic advice and collaboration on a variety of initiatives to facilitate and support Human Resources plans, which are aligned with departmental initiatives and the strategic plan of the organization. Provides back-up to the other Specialists and demonstrates flexibility and commitment to the team in order to maximize resources and support the team during peak periods.
The Law Society of Ontario values and respects diversity. We are committed to creating an accessible, barrier-free and inclusive workplace in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please make any requirement you may have for accommodation during the recruitment process known when contacted. If you are unable to apply to this position due to the requirement for an accommodation of any kind, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416 947-3475.