Employers providing group health plans for their employees may choose to self-fund medical benefits instead of purchasing insurance. It is critical for plan sponsors to understand how these two approaches differ, how they are the same, and the pros and cons of each. This course will outline the basics of self-funding and provide a foundation for decision-making, design and administration.
- Introduction to Self-Funding
- Similarities and Costs of Self-Funded and Insured Plans
- How Self-Funding Works
- Compliance with ERISA and Other Federal Laws
- Pros and Cons of Self-Funding
- Pros and Cons of Fully Insuring
- Plan Design Options and Tools for Mitigating Risk and Managing Costs
- Types of Organizations Sponsoring Self-Funded Plans.
View full course outline [PDF].